Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I dare say this holds true in NEW England as well

From The Guardian (complete article here).

"It is fair to say Britain does not do winter glamorously. France has Courchevel and Megève; America has Aspen; we have minor celebrities bumping down Primrose Hill on tea trays. Our premier winter sport is poking droll fun at train companies when the inevitable "leaves on the line" delay announcements come. Why, we ask, are the trains sent into a tailspin by weather conditions that happen every year?

Because they're British, that's why. We are all sent into a tailspin by winter weather. Look around you, if you don't believe me. It is suddenly very cold and very wet, yes. Reader, may I introduce you to the concept of November. This happens every year, people! But do you see a nation looking chic and cosy and snug? No. You see bedraggled hordes, their new-season wardrobes completely obliterated by anoraks and mouldy cardigans, moaning about how wet their feet get when they wear Converse in the rain (duh-huh!)."

I feel a sudden need to start watching Love Actually and The Holiday!



My fashion sense is more about "giving up and hibernating in Gap hoodies from now until April" like they warn in the article and I fear I do end up looking like "a disgruntled maths teacher on wet-weather playground duty." So from now on, going to start taking all of my fashion advice from the Brits where they say things like, "For women: Mittens are jolly and useful, especially with a string." Looking like Blake Lively, never going to happen. Wearing mittens on a string, definitely. And apparently in Britain that could count as being fashionable.

2 comments:

Charles Grace said...

oh please, you don't want to look like BL, she is dreadful! i thought we just went through the whole getting rid of dowdy sweaters thing? I think the key is wearing colorful sweaters or cute fashionable hoodies rather than giant ones that cover you head to toe.

anyway, i'm off to go watch family stone and desire RA's many movie wardrobes. (just kidding I'm at work, I can't go watch it until I get home)

Esmee Grace said...

Dodie we will have to go shopping sometime this week. You know, if I ever get to go home. Le sigh.