Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I have so totally found my new boyfriend


And he is from Newton! So I was reading the NYT travel section and saw that the new frugal traveler columnist had written about the Boston suburbs!!! From the opening of his piece:

"When I was growing up in the Boston suburbs, we never gave the city much thought. It was good for a Red Sox game, the occasional school field trip to Paul Revere’s house, and, in high school, the liquor stores that didn’t card. (Wait, did I say that out loud?)"

He continues to be slyly amusing. "From there it was on to Concord and Minute Man National Historic Park, where we visited the North Bridge, the site of the 1775 “shot heard round the world,” as the move by the colonists to engage the redcoats in the first battle of the American Revolution is called. We got there just as the sun was setting behind the bare-limbed trees – a sunset that, had the revolution never happened, I’d have to refer to as colourful." And refreshingly honest. "Despite many places to picnic right in town, like the picturesque and historic Battle Green, we ate in the car. It was freezing."

I had to find out more about him. He has a truly swoon-worthy bio. A degree in African government from Yale (I suppose I could forgive for being a Yalie), a stint as a bilingual teacher in the Bronx as part of TFA, an MPP from the K school in immigration and education, followed by work in CPS, and he is now a globe-trotting freelance journalist. (You know my feelings on journalists...) Le sigh. Right, and he is funny. Just check out the links he listed as websites that are more interesting than his bio and he ends his bio with, "I speak Spanish and Portuguese, and have ten years of French study buried deep in the back of my brain, though it would take a neurosurgeon to extract it. Quelle dommage. Hmm, not sure what that means." We could discuss child development, African politics and the Red Sox.

No comments: